Partners Club® is a unique school based program that offers social and recreational opportunities for students with and without intellectual disabilities that:
- Develops friendships between students with and without intellectual disabilities
- Offers social and recreational opportunities that build student character
- Increases acceptance of disabilities
- Builds leadership and enhances the school community
- Creates a more inclusive and accepting school environment
- Teaches beyond the classroom and expands students’ social horizons
Each Partner’s Club® can choose which types of social and recreational components they will include. Over time, most clubs develop the program to offer opportunities in each area, but may have to start by just offering one or the other. Here is a list of possible activities to offer through your Partners Club®:
- Attend a local sporting event together
- Sponsor a dance for the school
- Have a pizza party or other social gathering
- Go to a movie
- Play a basketball or soccer game
- Start a Unified sports team
The support of faculty and administration in both general and Special Education departments is crucial in ensuring the success of the club.
Make sure to contact your school’s Activities Director to learn the requirements and criteria for starting an official school club.